Monday, June 01, 2009


May 22-24 and 31, 2009


Social Circle & Cairo, Georgia, and Evansville & Lebanon, Indiana


I'm a week behind in my posting but if I can promise you to keep this short, I can double up on this weekend and last and consider myself caught up.


Our motor home, aka, "the Caterpillar" was left with a mechanic in Spartanburg, South Carolina on May 14th and we rented a mini van to finish the trip we were on. The rental was for a week so we had planned to drive it back to Spartanburg on Thursday, the 21st. However, the Caterpillar was not ready so we had to drive our van as well as the rental back to Spartanburg to return the rental. But on Wednesday night just before turning the lights out we changed our plans to wait until Friday morning to leave instead. We had to pay an extra day for the rental van but avoided paying for hotel lodging Thursday night. My dad arrived Wednesday afternoon from Michigan and was staying at our house that night, planning to leave and go stay with my sister, Mary and her family when we left. Since we decided to stay home on Thursday, he decided to hang out at our house and I was glad we got to spend a little more time with him. Dad rose with us Friday morning and waved goodbye from the middle of our driveway when we made our 6:00 a.m. departure.


What a beautiful drive on an even more beautiful day. Bobby and Landis were in the rental and they could make those Blue Ridge hills a whole lot quicker than we women could in our "full-figured" vehicle. That's a nice way of saying our van is fat. So even though we sinc'd our cruise controls, we girls lagged behind a little but enjoyed the scenery and of course the tunnels. As we went through the dark highway halls we rolled the windows down and screamed as girls will do.


We made it to Spartanburg in 7 hours, returned the rental van, picked a few things off the Caterpillar and emptied our bladders before continuing on to Social Circle, Georgia where we sang at Oasis Faith Baptist Church, pastored by Nelson Goddard. We were a little pushed for time and after getting everyone else ready, I was left with 6 minutes to get myself ready in the van. I made it but right after I sat down on the front row with my family, Pastor Nelson approached me saying that he hated to be the bearer of bad news but Faith had somehow sneaked away and found a mud puddle outside. Jumping up I met her just coming in holding up two little black hands. I rushed her to the ladies room holding her hands out in front of her with orders not to touch anything. Unfortunately, the ladies room was in front of the sanctuary so our muddy parading to the front was met with many chuckles and smiles. After all the nonsense we still had a wonderful concert...until... I went up to share a testimony leaving Faith on the pew as I always do. She had not had a nap and was very contrary but I'd never imagined seeing what I saw next. I heard some commotion and looked down at the front pew to see that Faith had found the large tube of scented body lotion in the bottom of my purse. Finding the lotion wasn't the problem. The problem was that she had proceeded to apply the lotion all over herself. I was so thankful that Pastor Nelson's wife, Laura, intervened by crossing the aisle and saving the day. I quickly let the rest of the congregation know what had happened since they could tell something was up but couldn't see Faith and her project. I told them that very soon they would begin to notice a sweet aroma in the room but unfortunately it would only be Clinique's “Happy” and not the presence of the Lord.


After some fellowship with the Goddard Family at Zaxby's, we found a room at the Baymont and enjoyed a good nights' rest. After breakfast and checkout we mosied over to our favorite hangout, Wal Mart to kill some time while we waited for the arrival of the Nolan Family who was making a 2-hour drive all the way from Jasper to have lunch with us. We had just visited with them the weekend prior and it was good bonding for us to get to visit with them again the very next weekend. Between their daughter, Katie's physical trials and our Grace's physical limitations, politics and the goodness of God, we have a whole lot to talk about. We spent about 3 hours together and then said goodbye, this time not knowing when we'd meet again.


The drive to Cairo in southern Georgia went smoothly and when we arrived and checked into the Best Western, we found that we were booked in a room with two double beds. I asked Bobby if he'd please check with the front desk to see if there might be a suite or two adjoining rooms and we could just pay the difference. There weren't. And then I asked if there were any rollaways or cribs for Landis or Faith. Shortly after the second request, the front desk called and informed us that she had called the church that paid for the room and asked them if they'd be willing to pay for a second room for us. I was shocked that she did this and I asked her to repeat what she just told me. We stopped by the front desk on our way to the restaurant to eat dinner and Bobby scolded her a bit for taking the liberty to do that. Needless to say, the next morning when we greeted the Music Pastor, Greg Welch, at Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, we felt a bit sheepish and tried to explain to him what had happened assuring him that we didn't ask the hotel to call him. He was very gracious and understanding and said he just assumed we only had 2 kids since BOBBY HAD TOLD HIM WE ONLY NEEDED A ROOM WITH 2 DOUBLES. (Bobby told me he didn't care if I wrote that.) Greg told the hotel clerk the night before to absolutely get us a second room and if we needed 3 or 4 rooms to get those as well. We liked Greg. We liked lead pastor, Mike as well. He showed up in his Hawaiian shirt and on crutches because he had a little accident on his Harley recently. We had a great Sunday morning service with one of the larger congregations we've been with and when it was time to invite people to the altar, about 12 men and young boys responded. I don't know why the men responded. Usually women are more apt to respond to the invitation first and most of the time it's a mixed group of people at the altar but this time it was just men. There were about 3 women who came up to pray for their men and it was very moving.


Many times Bobby jokes with the people he ministers to, telling them to slip his kids a dollar after the service to let 'em know they were appreciated. Many people have taken him literally and sweetly given our children money after a concert. Of course the kids LOVE this and get so excited. Back in February when a church in Searcy, Arkansas took a specific offering just for our children, we started an Admission Fee Fund, which is an envelope holding money to be used for admission into theme parks, museums, zoos, etc., while we're traveling. Well, last Sunday morning after church, the children's Sunday School teacher from Pleasant Grove approached me, spoke some kind words, and shook my hand. But when he shook my hand, he pushed some folded money into my hand. At least I assumed it was money and I assumed it was at least $10 since he mentioned he'd rather give it to me than trust the children with it. I pushed the money down into my purse without looking at it while I continued visiting with people. Later, when getting something out of my purse, I saw the money and unfolded it to see what it was. That Sunday School teacher had given my children a $100 dollar bill! What a blessing as that will help out a lot as we tour Canada this summer!


We originally had 4 bookings for this weekend but 1 canceled and another postponed until December. Of course these events are beyond our control and there's nothing we can do to change it when it's only a week or two advanced notice. But don't you know God's not surprised when there's a cancellation? And don't you know He knows exactly what we need financially? And don't you know He has a way of providing that is higher than our ways? We had a great weekend in many ways, including financially. There's no need to worry when you put all your trust in Him.


Once again we were able to attend our own Cornerstone Church on Saturday evening, May 30th. This was only our second weekend service of 2009 and although it was wonderful for us to be there, there was just the slightest feeling of distance or a feeling that comes from not being involved as I'd like to be. Maybe it was seeing so many new folks on the worship team or maybe it was not actually having a Saturday School class that we belong to, I don't know but I didn't like the feeling. I just have to remember that it's not MY church and it's not about me and my inclusion there but it's about worshiping corporately with the Body of Christ and forgetting myself to serve Him and others. None-the-less, it was great to be there and I wish I could be there more.


On Sunday morning, the 31st, we rose early to sing in Evansville, Indiana at Assembly of Faith church, which was a church we visited in November of last year. The two and a half hour drive was a little rough for me as I was very tired which causes me to be more emotional than necessary. We had a photo shoot on Saturday which meant that I stayed up late after the rollerskating on Friday night to find clothing for everyone that coordinated with each other and then on Saturday morning there was a little bit of shopping to be done as we needed 1 white t-shirt, a necklace and a pair of earrings to complete the look. Thinking that the photo shoot would take all afternoon, I bathed all the children and got them ready for church before leaving the house at 12:30. My brother-in-law, Kris Kelso, served as our photographer and met us at an abandoned building in Millersville, which served as the setting for the photo shoot for Bobby's new CD project. We also took some long overdue family pictures, something we hadn't done since early in 2005...well, besides the Christmas photo from 2006 that Bobby's been using on his website. The picture-taking only took an hour and a half so afterward we enjoyed a nice meal at Pancho Villa but Hope who was suffering from Swimmer's Ear was dealing some intense pain. Finally, I was able to reach Dr. Doug Sterban who was kind enough to meet us at the office and treat Hope. She didn't feel any relief immediately. Matter of fact, she didn't like him very much when he gave her sore ear a quick tug. I could hear the pop when he did it. The pop was a good thing but it sure made her cry.


We went on to church from the chiropractor's office and then home, and as usual, I stayed up packing “a few things.” Once again my mind told me that if we were only out 1 day singing, we weren't taking much. And once again, the reality hit me at midnight that I always have to take more than I think I do.


At Assembly of Faith in Evansville last fall, we met a congregation that was on fire. They didn't have a band, or Power Point, or even good lighting, but they had a deep hunger for more of God. We had a great service last fall and we had an even greater service yesterday morning. Last fall, Pastor Brenda shared with me how many, if not most of the congregates were former prisoners, prostitutes and drug addicts. But it's true what Jesus said, “But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little.” (Luke 7:47b) It seems like the darker the past, the hotter the present. These people were pressing in with corporate prayer and bible studies and street witnessing. And yesterday, the worship was even more intense. We “had church”, as they say, for about 45 minutes to an hour. After that Bobby only sang about 5 songs with very little talking. I testified and that was the extent of what we did. The rest of the time was just worship and it was good! Revival is coming to this land and I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about the miraculous happening very soon in the Evansville area for those people at Assembly of Faith on Pollack Street are, as they said yesterday, getting “desperate” for a move of the Holy Spirit in their community.


You know, going into the service, I felt a little wimpy, Spiritually speaking. Grace and I were alone in the van for a while and I prayed and worshiped. But because of the weariness in my body and the up and down emotions, I felt insincere in my attempt to minister. (Pastor Davis warns us about the lack of rest leading to lack of anointing.) But after the service, saintly Ms. Winnie Hope, who I remembered from the last time we were there, sat down beside me on the front pew, hugged me tightly and whispered in my ear that it was so obvious to her that we were sincere, that the Holy Spirit was working through our family and that we brought Him with us. There went the tears again. But it wasn't until the long drive north on Sunday afternoon that the truth of what she said was revealed to me. Here I was, again, putting it all on myself. I needed to be ready, I should be more than what I am, I should be more prepared, I should be more intense in my faith. I was beating myself up and looking at myself with judgment, thinking that's how God looks at me. When the whole time He was just looking at me with nothing but LOVE. (Photo above, back row, l to r: Ms. Winnie and Ms. Lenora)


Sunday evening was another second time visit, this time to Hope Community Church in Lebanon, Indiana. A sweet and handsome young couple, Heather and Randy Jones and their children, Parker and Olivia are the friends that have booked us there both times. This group of Believers at Hope Community is so unique in their gifts and talents. They have a great band, led by Heather's mom, Melody. This woman was, I think she told me 35, when she told the Lord she wanted to play the piano like Robby McGee. And she does. She went from not being able to play at all to watching and studying Robby, to leading the band and worshiping God with her music. Son-in-law, Randy is the tenor in the church's Southern Gospel trio and they're really good!


Something I haven't mentioned in my posts is that in nearly every concert lately, I have to take Faith outside for a spanking. Sunday morning I had to take her out, and Sunday night I took her out twice! I ended up walking her to the back of the room a third time in order to make a visit to the restroom. We always take care of that before church but Heather actually gave a couple of my kids food and drink before church without me knowing so the bathroom trip was absolutely necessary. When I stood to give a testimony, I wanted to make an opening comment so I told everyone that I'd never experienced a night like this one. Two trips out for spankings in one evening was a first in the history books. I reminded them that sometimes you can speak to the Devil and tell him to leave but sometimes you gotta beat him out! They enjoyed that. I must add that Faith was a VERY good girl, sitting still and staying quiet when I gave a testimony last night. I guess the spankings helped.


We had some relaxing fellowship after the service with some GREAT food! Heather fed Grace like she did the first time we visited and Grace and I decided to hire her as Grace's assistant. The rest of the kids enjoyed playing together and then the Jones family led us to our hotel where we talked a little more before saying our good nights.


On the drive home today, we talked about all the things that have to happen before we leave for Michigan, and then Canada a week from Thursday. Bobby had Landis and Hope working around the kitchen table tonight folding letters and putting labels on envelopes as he's trying to get his single out to radio this week. And tomorrow he's back in the studio mixing. He hopes to be finished by the end of the week. By God's grace, he will.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Deeanna had a Word on Sunday morning...What stood out to me most was "I have made every sacrifice needed..." It is certainly good that it is not up to us...even our sacrifices (staying up late) are lacking in their service.