Friday, August 14, 2009


July 27-August 1, 2009

We crossed the border back into the good old US of A Monday before noon and began the long journey across Montana by way of US 2 until we finally found Interstate again. Bobby had planned to stop for the night somewhere in North Dakota but I let him know that I would be just fine with not stopping. I didn't sleep much when I was supposed to during the hours of twelve and four but was ready to go with a hot cup of coffee when I got behind the wheel at five.

I pulled us over at nine the next morning to eat breakfast near Eau Claire, Wisconsin and we gave the van a break while we went in the Flying J to eat. Faith was very whiny when we went in and even after holding her tightly for a few minutes, she was still fussing. We found out why at the breakfast table when she started gagging. We tried to be discreet as I caught what came up in an empty cup and placed it on the floor. Sure, it's gross but what are you supposed to do when your child is puking right NOW? I laid her down in a nearby booth and she slept while the rest of us ate. When we finished, the girls and I went out to the van before Bobby and Landis. I was preparing a bed for Faith in the back behind the couch and Hope was rolling Grace around in the sunshine. Just as I got Faith settled and was straightening up the inside of the van, I heard Hope crying for help and some commotion to follow. I turned around in time to see Grace's wheelchair start up the ramp and fall sideways off of it with Grace in it. Immediately two people were at our side trying to help us. We got Grace turned upright and checked for bumps or bleeding. Hope cried, of course, and, of course, Grace didn't. She doesn't cry because of pain. Hope felt better when Grace, who had a bump on her forehead, smiled at her. Whew! What a morning...after not sleeping much.

Faith slept for a couple of hours and was perfectly fine when she awoke. Bobby said that he thinks that Faith's stomach just got worked up by the washboard bumps he and the girls felt as I drove through Minneapolis/St. Paul. That could have been it. Either that or it was a 30 minute bug.


It took us 32 hours to drive from Maple Creek, Saskatchewan to Burr Oak, Michigan (I drove a whopping five of those thirty two hours). It wasn't that bad but it wasn't always great. This photo of Grace says a whole lot more than my words can say. I can't remember why, but she was mad. Oh, and I guess you see Hope behind Grace. Um, yeah, there's some "movement" from time to time. But you know, as many hours as these kids spend in the van, we don't want to make them sit the whole time. If they do, they might get fat.


After just getting on the Indiana Toll Road and Chicago being behind us, I called Dad to let him know where we were and he mentioned telling my sister, Mary, that he was planning on making breakfast in the morning. I asked him why he would tell Mary that he was making Bobby and I and the kids breakfast. He hesitated and chuckled after realizing he had just let the cat out of the bag. Mary made a last minute decision the Friday before to drive to Michigan with her three boys and meet us at Dad's. It was supposed to be a surprise and Dad slipped. He usually does. :) Oh well. It was still a surprise. We were surprised a couple of hours before we were supposed to be surprised. Life was good again after hugs, baths and food.


Mary and I planned out our week and cleverly planned some time for just the two of us to get away from all the children. We had a great week which I think I can summarize in a few sentences. Let's see, we had pedicures while Dad, Bobby and the kids went to a matinee, had dinner at my cousin Gina's house in Middlebury, Indiana, had breakfast with Dad at the Bluegate in Shipshewana, did a little shopping, visited my sister, Kathy and her girls, visited my mother's grave, had ice cream at the Sand Lake Party Store, visited Reubmommy (my ninety five year old amish grandmother), roasted weiners and enjoyed the fire, and Uncle Joel took the older kids fishing. It was a great week with BEAUTIFUL weather and toward the end of it I thanked Mary for driving up and surprising us. She, in turn, thanked us for coming home...to the U.S., that is.


Mary took some pretty good photos and posted them on her blog. Check 'em out.

No comments: