Friday, September 04, 2009

August 22 & 23, 2009


An easy, breezy trip to Alabama! A few hours down the road to Sylacauga, which is southeast of Birmingham, is where an old friend, Debe Hooley and husband Phil live. Debe assisted in getting Bobby the date at Weogufka. The Weogufka High Alumni meet nearly every Saturday night in the old High School, after the city threatened to tear the old building down. The folks really show up to support the concerts and dinners held there and prove to the city that the old structure still serves a great purpose.


I hadn't seen Debe in 20 years and we enjoyed reminiscing on old times, old places and familiar faces. I was disappointed that I didn't get to see Phil, who was the most quiet person I think I've ever known. Twenty years ago I wouldn't make the same effort to try to get to know someone that I do today, so I had really hoped to see Phil as well as Debe but he wasn't at the concert because he had been called to work.

Debe and I used to attend the same church but another connection between us was an old amish couple, Pete and Mandy Schwartz. Uncle Pete was a brother to my grandpa, John Schwartz. Mandy was a sister to Debe's dad, Al Yoder. Al and Edna have passed away and Debe opened Yoder's Country Store in Sylacauga in their honor.


Presley Boswell, Bobby's contact, was a blessing to my kids as well as us. He assured us we'd have a great crowd and we did. It was a joy visiting with the people of Weogufka, Alabama. Oh, and Hope had a winning raffle ticket and won her mother a brand new iron! Mine died recently.


The following morning we had a three hour drive, but fortunately we weren't scheduled to sing until two o'clock. We arrived at Christ Way Baptist Church at noon and Bobby walked into the back of the sanctuary to hear Brother Leroy Landers still preaching. He came back out to the van where the kids and I were waiting and said he thought this was a missionary church. “He's really preaching in there. He sounds like a Pentecostal." Then he went back in and listened some more.


We had a scrumptious lunch and enjoyed tasty dishes that only church ladies can prepare. During lunch, Pastor Leroy, who has a smooth, hair-free scalp on his top and very tight curls above his ears and all around the back of his head, visited with us and somehow remembered each of the childrens' names. I was very impressed and the kids took a liking to him. At one point, Honest Hope said, "Dad, he looks like Larry!" I immediately tried to change the subject and move the conversation along. But Pastor Leroy heard her and said, "I've been told I look like Larry for years and years!" The fact that he reminded someone of Larry from the Three Stooges was old news that he'd heard many times.

We were a little disappointed that not all of the folks stayed for the afternoon concert after lunch, but we were blessed anyway and at the end of the service, a very emotional Pastor Leroy, hesitated with his words as he closed the service in prayer. Perhaps Faith should have been spanked and it's too late to do that now but she only considered herself to be helping when she kept adding an audible "AMEN" every time the pastor paused. He was waiting on the Lord and she was waiting on the pastor. I kept trying to silence her but again, she only thought she was helping him.

Community Baptist Church was just down the road so we mosied on over for the evening service. Pastor Brandon Dyar, dressed in a sharp periwinkle suit walked out of the building to help Bobby load in. This is a small, but young and stirred-up congregation that loves to sing and loves to worship Jesus. When Bobby sang some of his praise and worship songs, the children, sitting on the front row, joined in with such enthusiasm, I think they were louder than Bobby. Pastor Brandon and his beautiful wife, Maria, are in their thirties with young children, and he has succeeded in sharing his vision with his congregation. Everyone sat near the front which told me these folks come eager and ready to receive something when they walk through those doors.

After the service we had fellowship over Mexican food and Pastor Brandon and Maria shared with us how they have received the power and giftings of the Holy Spirit but have not forsaken the denominational teachings of the Baptist Church. They were a very inspiring couple to visit with and we really enjoyed our time with them.

We had a relatively easy drive home that night and was able to wake up Monday morning in our own beds. As I was about to wake up Monday morning, I remember situating my pillow under my head and thinking, "This is a very nice pillow...what hotel is this again?" And then I woke up and remembered it was my pillow on my bed in my house and I was there. It's nice to have more time at home, sweet home.

No comments: