Monday, January 11, 2010



November 21 and 22, 2009


We made our second trip to Neosho, Missouri but this time, instead of driving across southern Missouri on US 60, we stayed on the Interstate and drove up through St. Louis. It was a few more miles but easier driving and took about the same amount of time.


As soon as we arrived at our hotel, I began bathing children just as quickly as I could and then getting them in bed. We made very good time and I was able to get in bed at a decent time, myself, getting a great night's sleep.


We easily found our friends at Monark Baptist Church. They were right where we left them 1 year ago. (wink) We always enjoy the Sunday School classes there and then had a good service following. Pastor Melvin is a humble and unassuming man with a small but caring congregation that is passionate about feeding and serving those in their community that are struggling financially.


They shared a light lunch with us and then we headed down to Bentonville, Arkansas where we made yet another repeat visit to Calvary Temple Church. Bobby's long-time friend, Chad Jones, is a real blessing to us as he helped us with this booking and introduced us to his great church.

We had another good service, although there weren't quite as many in attendance as a year ago, and then, as usual, had a fun time of fellowship with Chad and his family. Chad's mother, sister and niece were down from Minnesota to visit Chad for an early Thanksgiving, so we were introduced as we sat down to eat together at Denny's. But the most fun was outside afterward. Check out this video of Grace cruising Denny's parking lot.

It's difficult to see because of the lack of light but Bobby pushed Grace away from him and after she'd go so many yards, the wheelchair would do a slow 360 and then roll right back to him. She loved it and so did the kids.


I'm really trying to change my ways and go to bed earlier and get up earlier. So after getting my 8 hours, I rose early and got dressed to go to the fitness room. However, Grace awoke too. I knew that if I left her in the bed, Bobby would have to sleep with one eye open in order to make sure she didn't wiggle off the bed so after giving it some thought, I decided there was no reason I couldn't lift Grace into her chair while still in her pajamas and take her with me. She enjoyed getting to go with me so much that she didn't complain a bit when I put the TV on Kenneth Copeland while I walked on the treadmill. She listened intently to the teaching while eyeballing the swimming pool in the next room. Then we had breakfast together. Grace and I slowly savored our rare quiet time together over a delicious breakfast. What was even more rare was the quietness in the hotel room while the rest of the family went to breakfast later on.


A drive south through the western edge of the Ozarks to Texarkana and that's where we planted ourselves for Thanksgiving week...with family.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Are you kidding? Denny's is the place I've always had the most fun. :)

When I first read the second paragraph I was scanning quickly through and read, "As soon as we arrived at our hotel, I began beating children just as quickly as I could..." I went back and read it right. I slowed down for the rest of it.