Saturday, April 24, 2010

Spittin' Snow in Mississippi


March 21, 2010

We attended our first weekend service in 2010 at Cornerstone, our home church, on Saturday evening, March 20. It's difficult to describe the good feeling I have when the music starts and we all stand, the curtains open and there's that big old choir, (who I miss singing with VERY much) and we all begin to sing together and focus our thoughts on Jesus Christ. We're challenged to abandon the distractions that tend to bombard us, our worries and weariness, bring every thought captive and worship the King of Kings. The good feeling I have is a feeling of being home and I think it's just a tiny taste of that “home” feeling I'll have when all the saints are gathered together at last at the Throne of God.


Pastor Davis gave a great word regarding the antichrist. We walked away feeling more educated and full of hope and expectancy. Unfortunately we couldn't stay for classes because we had to hurry home and get to bed as quickly as possible.


We rose at 3:00 AM the following morning to drive to Union Grove Family Worship Center in Mooreville, Mississippi near Tupelo. Another morning of getting everyone, including myself ready in the van. Not easy but the best we can do. What's most difficult, of course is getting Grace ready, but once I can get her ready and her and her chair out of the van, there's more room in the van for the other girls to get dressed. Landis always changes his clothes first in the back behind the back seat. That way he can get out right away and help his daddy load in and we can have more privacy. I need to find a big mirror that folds so I can do my hair in the van because I always end up trying to do my hair from the middle of the van, looking up to the front to the driver's tiny rear view mirror crouched low so as not to be seen by those passing by. The main problem with this is I can't see the back of my head! You ladies know that you can't go out in public until you're sure there are no holes, flips or bumps in the back of your 'do. Then there's that huge chance I take when I allow Hope and Faith loose into the church with tooth paste and brushes in hand in search of the ladies room. I always give them strict orders to go straight to the bathroom and to PLEASE not fight! I can just imagine the early birds raising their eyebrows as screams from the ladies room reverberate through the entire building. Then two little girls emerge moments later with tooth paste still in the corners of their mouths, and tears in their eyes and moments after that they realize these are our little guest ministers. Oh well. We're only human and we're just like everybody else, right? We're not perfect. We fight and pout and indulge in selfish ambitions. That doesn't mean God made a mistake and didn't mean to call us into ministry. It just means God's grace works through us in spite of our weaknesses. Of course it also means it's absolutely vital that we always prepare ourselves for ministry by making sure our hearts are surrendered and submitted to God after we've “selfishly indulged.”


We met a very young Pastor Ryan Napalo, who seemed shy and quiet until the service started. At that point I don't know if he came out of or in to his comfort zone. I'm not sure which it was but the title, “pastor” suited him well. I particularly enjoyed the music at Union Grove. They didn't have one worship leader, but a trio. This trio didn't sing in unison like so many do. This trio of ladies, which included Pastor Ryan's wife, Jennifer, sang in three-part harmony and it was beautiful! And I didn't feel like I was just supposed to listen to them sing. They weren't performing, they were leading us in worship and it was easy to join them.


From Mooreville, we drove south toward Carthage. Naturally, we were hungry and ready for lunch but Bobby got in his “guy” mode and drove for 2 hours before finally stopping for lunch. Every now and then I have to remind our fearless leader that he's not traveling with a bunch of guys who can go for hours without eating and tinkling. He's traveling with the short people who have itty biddy bladders and are picky eaters or rather, “grazers.” Actually, the kids and I do really good. They're good eaters and they don't have to go but every couple of hours. Even after a couple of hours Bobby sometimes just stops without being asked and we make the children all go whether they say they need to or not. It's usually Hope that will say 30 minutes after we've stopped, tinkled and eaten lunch, “I gotta go.” It's like she's on a schedule.


I always look at the weather forecast for the city we're traveling to and the forecast for Carthage, Mississippi that day was supposed to be in the high 60's, so I packed accordingly. I should know by now that you should always be prepared with jackets, socks, etc., because the forecast is not to be trusted. It felt like the wind was laughing one of those wicked, haunting laughs on Sunday afternoon when we'd get out of the van and shiver. As Grace, Faith and I sat in the van waiting while Bobby unloaded and set up in the sanctuary at Free Trade Church of God, the wind giggled at me as the sky spit some snowflakes. I know it's fashionably acceptable but it just feels wrong to wear sandals on bare feet in the snow. I think that comes from being raised in Michigan.

Pastor Mark and Gayla Gill greeted us and we instantly fell in love with this couple, their daughters and their church family. Only a few minutes into conversation we discovered we had a mutual friend. Our one and only Chele Sterban had sung at Free Trade several times and as a matter of fact, this was where she sang her final solo concert (for now) in 2005. The Gills spoke highly of Chele and expressed words of love and appreciation regarding her. When I sent a text to Chele to let her know where I was she replied with the same kind words.


We enjoyed a great service at Free Trade. Pastor Mark and Gayla treated us to a Mexican dinner after the service and our conversation around the table came easily. Following dinner Pastor Mark saw us to our rooms which were just down the street and offered to treat us to breakfast the following morning since our hotel didn't offer any. At first we told him that wouldn't be necessary but Gayla quickly said we should take him up on the offer since it was extended. So we met Pastor Mark and the girls again the following morning and visited another 2 hours. Unfortunately, Gayla couldn't join us as she was called to substitute teach Monday morning. Again, the time flew by as the conversation flowed and I'll share with the reader what Pastor Mark shared with me. He told me about the hundreds of free down loadable sermons by Keith Moore and referred me to one sermon series in particular called “Receiving and Ministering Healing.” Bobby put the series on his i-Pod so I could listen to it when we do the all-night drives. I'm so looking forward to getting into it.

Of course our farewell with Pastor Mark and his girls was long and drawn out and it was sealed with a prayer that he led. As we drove away, Bobby and I agreed that if everyone treated us like Pastor Mark and his family, we'd be spoiled rotten.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I can imagine that untimely snow a lot better as I read this on a cold morning in April. Ach My! I don't know how to spell that, but you know what I mean.

Becky Jo said...

I saw on the weather site last Friday that it might be pretty chilly as we approached home on Monday evening, so I was not surprised when I had to get the jackets out of the trailer this evening near Knoxville.