Monday, February 01, 2010

December 3-6, 2009


We were so excited to go back to Social Circle, Georgia to see the Goddard Family and friends at Oasis of Faith Baptist Church. Nelson and Laura's daughter and son-in-law had a baby boy since we saw them last and it wasn't difficult to see the whole church has been enjoying the new youngin'. The turnout was good for a very cold Thursday night in early December and most of the folks that were there in May, came back, and we met some new saints including one young man who had just recently given his heart to the Lord! The room lights were turned off and only a few lights at the front, including the lights from a very large and exquisite Christmas tree spread a warm glow. The lights remained low for the altar call and we had a sweet time of prayer before we dismissed.


The Goddard's are some of the sweetest people we've ever met and they treated us once again to some delicious food, this time Mexican, before leaving us to our very nice room at the brand new Hampton.


On Friday night we met a dear brother, Gary Stewart, pastor of Canon Church of God near Canon, Georgia. We had a great crowd...food always helps. We knew they were planning on refreshments after the service but we didn't know all of the reasons WHY we were having refreshments. Not long after we arrived we found out it was Pastor Gary's birthday. Hope surprised him by singing happy birthday to him during the service while Landis accompanied her on the guitar. Because of that, he decided to share his cake and his party with Hope since her birthday was 3 days later.


After the service Pastor Gary shared some things that were heavy on his heart with Bobby. We've had our eyes opened a little more in the last couple of years of how burdened pastors can be. Pastor Gary said the church is making plans to build and grow but one old saint is kicking all the way threatening to withhold his tithe if they proceed. Now don't you know he's robbing God if he doesn't tithe? (Malachi 3:8) He's not going to hurt anyone but himself. Pastor Gary knows this too, and it breaks his heart for his brother.


The following morning we drove back to Atlanta and met our friends of exactly 1 year, the Nolans. Our visit with Wes, Marie, Katie, Kasey and Kristopher at the Cracker Barrell in Marietta was good but way too short. However, we had the 20th to look forward to as we would meet them again, next time in Chattanooga.


We made a quick stop on the south side of Atlanta at a WalMart to get a new tire for the trailer and while we were picking up a couple of things like bread and milk for the kids, Bobby asked me, “Look around us, what is the first thing you notice.” I quickly answered, “Um, we're the only white folks in here.” Only joking he said, “Yeah, I think we'd better get outta here.” As we looked around us we could not find one other white person. It's a funny feeling to know you're in your own country but to see absolutely no one that looks anything like you. That's ok... I'm just not used to it.


It was so late when we arrived in Cairo that I decided to forgo the baths that the children needed. Grace, who usually sits with her feet tied down all day in the wheel chair, will kick, sometimes violently, once we lay her down on the bed in the hotel room. I thought I had a bright idea when I sat down beside her on the bed and began to massage her legs thinking that perhaps it would get that blood flowing good and calm her spastic legs. She always sleeps next to Hope and although Hope sometimes gets kicked, she's usually very good natured and will usually cuddle Grace, telling her stories and making her laugh. Sometimes, though, Grace will wake Hope in the night with her kicking causing Hope to lose sleep. So in light of this I massaged and stretched Grace's legs. However, when I was finished, I attempted to bend over the bed, lift up slightly and push Grace up in the bed away from the edge as I've done many times but this time something went wrong. A sharp pain grabbed in my lower back, scaring me and causing me to scream. I slammed my back against the wall and slowly slid down the wall to rest on my heels and waited to see what might happen next. I tried to stand a couple of times but nearly passed out so I slid down to my heels again. It upset the kids and they called Bobby from the adjacent room. He helped me to the other room and I nearly passed out before I reached the nearest corner of the bed. I felt several things all at once; pain, anger, fear and nausea. I demanded Bobby give me the trash can quickly but as soon as I hung my head in it the nausea passed and I lost it. I dropped to the floor on my knees and with my face buried in the bed I bawled like a baby. It was one of those moments when you can't control the tears but you feel absolutely ridiculous shedding them because you have an audience. I managed to find some pain reliever, undress and ease myself into bed and go to sleep. The fear had disappeared before sleep and I had determined in my spirit that nothing would keep me from going to church the next morning. Certainly no physical pain or sickness would keep me from going to minister. I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've stayed home from church with any of my 4 children because of sickness. It's just a personal conviction I have to not lay down to sickness.


Surprisingly I slept very well and the following morning, I moved very slowly and cautiously as I got ready to go. I moved a little slower than usual but no one at the church ever knew about my back. For one brief moment before I went up on the stage, I was concerned about whether or not I could raise my legs to walk up the steps of the platform but when the moment came I stepped up with very little effort. It's amazing what God gives you the grace to do when you've determined in your heart is God's will for you to do.

Pleasant Grove Baptist Church of Cairo, Georgia is probably Bobby's favorite place to sing. Brother Greg Welch is a great musician, worship leader and friend. He traveled in ministry and knows how to make you feel welcome and comfortable. Pastor Mike is the exact opposite of our pastor at home; laid back, blue jeans and Hawaiian shirt. However, like Pastor Davis, he still has his man card. But the most impressive thing we saw at “The Grove” was, this pastor and his congregation understand what giving is all about. Brother Greg spoke it and we saw it carried out. They understand that their church is not a bank. They have clear vision in seeing that they are not to hold onto money to see how much they can hoard up, but instead, they understand they're responsibility is to give. As a direct result, this church receives. They receive more than they give, later than they give. Nothing can change God's principles.


After the service, someone handed me a bag full of cards. There were probably 50 cards in the bag all with kind words saying that we were loved and prayed for and notes saying thanks for coming. What a thoughtful gesture of kindness to show a visitor they are appreciated.


After lunch with Greg and his family, we rested for about 30 minutes in our hotel room before driving over to Thomasville to Westside Baptist Church with Pastor Randy Blow. Music Director, Jeff Davis is a long time friend of Greg's and Greg contacted him for us asking him to consider having us come to their church to sing.


We didn't have a big crowd or an inspirational service, but God is always faithful. He was there and I hope we pleased Him. I also hope that from this meeting with Brother Jeff, we can build a friendship and meet again.

It was a long ride home on Monday (and yes, the children did get their baths) but we had several wonderful interruptions as Hope received 5 phone calls (Landis was so jealous) throughout the day and evening wishing her a very happy birthday. One of the calls came from Pastor Gary Stewart in Canon. What could have been a boring birthday because of riding in the van all day, made my 7 year old pretty happy with all those phone calls.

No comments: