Saturday, February 27, 2010

January 24, 2010


We had an easy drive to the Arkadelphia exit on I-40 in Arkansas near Hot Springs. Easy until the last 30 minutes. In those last minutes we drove through heavy rains but they lightened up just as we got off at our exit. A carport at the Holiday Inn Express was helpful as we loaded our things onto the luggage cart.


The following morning we had a 45 minute drive to Pearcy Baptist Church. We met interim pastor, Brother Bob Myrick and worship leader/youth pastor, Brother Lee Davis in the sanctuary while Bobby was setting up and getting a sound check. Pastor Myrick was especially good with the children and learned everyone's name very quickly. They directed us to our Sunday School classes immediately after sound check and Bobby and I were just starting to get into the lesson when a gentleman motioned with his finger and asked Bobby to come out into the hall. We both knew right away why one of us was being summoned. Every now and then, not every time, but sometimes, something will not sit right with Grace and she will begin to cry inconsolably leaving the teacher at a loss for what to do with her. Many times if Grace considers crying, Hope will be right there to distract her to something other than thoughts of herself and the fact that she's in a strange place with new people. But there are times like this particular Sunday when mom and dad were called to the scene. A few minutes after Bobby was called out to the room he returned with Grace and brought her into our class with us. She did very well and was quiet as she sat next to her daddy through the remainder of the class.

The church service was a good one and although no one responded to the altar call, there was some great encouragement after the service. I noticed in their bulletin that Butch Goins was deacon of the week so after church he and his beautiful wife, Gaye introduced themselves and told us they'd be treating us to lunch. We drove just a few miles from the church further into the country and standing all alone on US Highway 70 was a small mom and pop cafe with a full menu, the best service and delicious food to boot. We had a big table with plenty of room and the staff was happy to accommodate us in every way. It might have helped a little that our lovely waitress was Butch and Gaye's daughter-in-love. I simply concentrated on chatting with Gaye and feeding Grace her lunch while Bobby visited with Butch at the other end of the table and I was able to take my salad with me to eat as we drove toward Little Rock.


We arrived right on time for load in at Benton Foursquare Church in Benton where we ministered one year earlier.


Before the service, as Bobby and I and the kids sat in the nursery getting ready for the service, Pastor David Brewer stepped into the room and spoke to Bobby for a few minutes about the evening. He specifically asked Bobby to share HIS testimony of how he got where he is and what the Lord has done in his life. When Pastor Brewer left the room I told Bobby that I wouldn't give my testimony as both of us speaking would make the evening too long. Bobby always wants me to share, even if it's just a very few minutes but I told him that I didn't need to this time and he certainly didn't need to think that my feelings would be hurt. The pastor asked HIM to share this time and I thought that was a good idea.

Bobby did share some things in word as well as in the usual song and just when I thought it was time to end the service, he called me up to testify. I looked out at the congregation of probably 100 people and thought, “I'd better make this short and sweet as these people are probably gonna start getting restless.” We followed my testimony up with the altar call and several people responded including a few young folks. Our daughter, Hope has a heart for ministry and every time I pray for someone at the altars, she is right there with me laying hands on them and praying. Landis is made up quite differently and has never accompanied me to the altar, that's usually because I lay hands on females. But on this night, standing in front of me was a young boy maybe a little older than Landis. I took hold of Landis' hand and pulled him a step forward with me as I placed his hand and my hands on this young boy and prayed. Needless to say, self-conscious Landis was uncomfortable but it was an experience that was good for him.


It wasn't until after the service and most people had left the building, that Pastor David told us that a big tough man of about 55 years of age was saved at the altar that night! We were so happy. And to think of how I was concerned about the service going too long and people getting weary of us. I'm glad God really does know what He's doing because so many times I only think I do.

No comments: