Tuesday, October 26, 2010

September 25-27, 2010

St. Petersburg and Tampa, Florida


Bobby and I had planned to take a getaway the last weekend in September. We planned it way back in the spring. We didn't necessarily want to get away on Grace's birthday but it was the only weekend Bobby didn't have something already booked besides some time in December. We planned to attend a marriage conference in Fort Myers but of course Bobby, who was happy to go, wanted to get some bookings for us in order to make some money while we were down there. We had worked child care out with Pat and Mary Johnson months in advance and I was looking SO forward to our honeymoon. I'd even done a little shopping for the occasion. However...and that's a big fat however, because of the van being in the shop (Mr. Pat needed the van in order to keep Grace for the weekend), not to mention the fact that we didn't make any money the weekend before, I suggested to Bobby that we rent a mini van and the whole family go to Florida. I can't tell you how sad I was to give up these big plans I'd made for so long but was glad about one thing: I never felt right about doing a couple of concerts without the kids. I'm sure it would have been fine but there's just something about the kids' involvement in the service that cause people to like us quicker. (smile)


It was a long and not-so-easy drive from Nashville to St. Petersburg on Saturday. After arriving at the hotel while we were unloading the van, a gentleman who had stepped outside to smoke, smiled at Faith as she danced and sang a Christian song. He commented on her talents and I quickly told him he could come see her sing live in the morning as she was performing locally. He answered that he probably should be in church in the morning praying for his beloved Pittsburgh Steelers. He was in town to watch the Steelers play Tampa Bay.


Jehovah Jireh, our Provider, was once again faithful to us and we not only had two great services with at least 1 person giving their life to Christ Sunday morning, (no, it wasn't the Steelers fan) but we made twice as much money as we typically do!


Pastor Randy Helms and his wife, Karen, were so down to earth and enjoyable to visit with before church Sunday morning. We found out a few days earlier that the Helms knew someone that we were hoping to meet soon. My dad called me earlier that week and asked me if we were going to sing at a church in Florida with a pastor named Randy Helms. I said yes, of course and wondered how he would know that. He laughed and told me that his lady friend he'd been seeing for the past few weeks was long-time friends with the Helms! Dad had told Joann about Bobby and I and kids and she went to Bobby's website. The very next booking on our schedule was Glad Tidings Assembly of God in St. Petersburg and of course her thoughts were, “what a small world!” Needless to say we heard some wonderful things about the lady my dad is seeing long before we met her and that was comforting.

Randy and Karen invited us to a baseball game with their church family after the morning service but considering the children, wheelchair, etc., we felt we'd have an easier time having a leisure, sit-down lunch, allowing plenty of time to get to Faith Independent Missionary Baptist Church in Tampa for the evening service.


We had contacted Bobby's nephew, Brandon Sams, who is an EMT and lives in St. Pete, letting him know we'd be in town and really would be glad to see him. His work schedule allowed him just enough time to get off, drive home, shower and drive to Tampa. He and a friend walked in just as the service started.


We had another good service that evening and I think Brandon's friends' heart was stirred a little. He expressed something to me after the service that said as much. Visiting was Brandon after church was great, just not long enough. We had to move on and head north for a while so as to get a head start in the morning. We had a rental to return by 8:00 PM.


I had hoped to stop an hour before we actually did but we found a good place to stop for the night in Lake City. We found a Best Western, older, but our room had two kings so we had plenty of horizontal space. The following morning we visited with another home school family at breakfast before heading home.


Pat Johnson had come up the previous Friday and had dinner with us as we celebrated Grace's 12th birthday. He came again on Monday evening to sit with the children while Bobby and I returned the rental van...which was returned in plenty of time.


I didn't get my honeymoon but if the children had anything at all to do with that man getting saved Sunday morning, it's worth giving up. Some day I'll know.


No comments: