Thursday, December 06, 2007

Ok - so it's been 10+ days since I blogged. Let's see, we had a touch of that stomach bug where your stools are soft and/or watery. Grace, Faith and I manifested some of those symptoms. Grace and Faith more so but only a couple of days. We took silver, of course. No antibiotics, no doctor visits, just a couple of drops of silver 2 or 3 times a day. And, of course, we took our vitamins. I heard there were several children out of school at Watauga but I really believe because we take our top-of-the-line vitamins and minerals that sickness is eclipsed and even avoided altogether. I'll let ya know in March how the winter went as far as sickness in the house.


What have we had for dinner? Well, Tuesday night I took the last little bit of the turkey from Thanksgiving and made a soup with that, rice, and veggies. Mmmmmmm! Good!!! I don't have that many readers so I won't post the made-up recipe but just in case someone reads this and would like more information, just post a reply and let me know. Tonight, we're having baked taters and salad. It started out being cole slaw but I kept adding things...carrots and onions, of course, a tiny bit of celery and oh, I couldn't resist, sweet corn! Made the dressing that mom taught me to make when I was a wee child. Mayo, milk/cream, sugar (but I used honey), vinegar and celery salt (mom didn't tell me to use celery salt - but I like it). My goal is to use what I have in the house. Use what I have, throw it together, season it well. Creativity is the name of the game. I baked 2 taters for Grace because I can't add much salad to her meal...it doesn't blend very well in the food processor.

Oh, and Landis and Bobby have been taking chili and turkey soup in their lunches. It saves money if I don't have to pack sandwiches. It's also healthier. And can we say, "comfort food" on a cold fall day?

Tomorrow is Hope's 5th birthday! Her request? A strawberry cake with pink icing. So, yes, I'm baking from a box! She's so fun to buy for and cook for. She gets so excited about anything you do for her...makes ya' feel so good! I'm looking forward to hanging out with the family tomorrow evening with some cake and ice cream after dinner and maybe some popcorn too.

Right now, I smell someone... gotta go change a dirty diadee.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I so intended to call and wish Hope a happy birthday. Maybe we can still do it today. Owen was busy with Hayden most of the time that he was awake yesterday so it was hard to nail him down for a phone call. I wish I had known she wanted pink cake. I have a great strawberry cake recipe I could have sent you. Maybe next time.