Thursday, April 20, 2006



How 'bout those tornados on the 7th? Bobby was in Erin, Tennessee of course. I had gone to pick up Grace at Woodall, the school she attended last year. She had gone to visit for an hour or so because the principal there had asked her p.m. bus drivers if they'd make plans to go get her at Watauga one day and bring her to Woodall to visit with everyone. I had just arrived home when I decided to turn the news on and look at the radar. One look and I scooped Grace up off the floor again and went back out to the van. I won't go into all the details of how many times I was in and out of the house but I'll say that we went over to the neighbors who have told us more than once to come to their basement anytime we want...the door is always unlocked. Well, on the 7th of April, it wasn't. :) The Lord protected us and our home and we were quite alright. Gallatin was hit pretty hard though and 12 people lost their lives that day. We stopped on the way to church on the following Sunday morning and took these pictures. Metro Baptist Church had 30+ children in their daycare when the storm hit and there wasn't a scratch on anyone.

I found out when I got to church that morning that the storm did some extensive damage to the home of a couple in the choir. They will have to live with his parents for about 6 weeks. No one was home when the storm hit. She has been wanting to stay at home with their 3 boys and he made her go to work just 1 more week. I know she's thankful she was working that day.
The storm hit one of the nicest subdivisions in Gallatin. Nearly all of the homes in the subdivision, Woodhaven, were destroyed. I don't know which subdivision I took a picture of. There are several right together. Our business administrator, Pastor Dana and his wife Julia live in Woodhaven and their home was one of just a small handful that had no significant damage. Actually, I heard that it WAS the only one or one of two houses left standing. I'm not certain that's true as I didn't speak to Dana or Julia myself. I zoomed in with my amazing camera as far as I could but this was as close as we could get as the National Guard kept traffic moving along. There were cars lined up and down the street here as people were trying to get a glimpse of the damage.

No comments: