Saturday, March 18, 2006


Seems like there's never really a GOOD time to write in a blog. The oldest and the youngest are both crying as soon I clicked on "create a new post". Grace is just mad about...something and Faith is feeling a little lonesome now that everyone left the kitchen. Landis and Hope just finished emptying all the trash cans and went outside to play. There's been a lot of action in the kitchen for the past couple of hours and all of a sudden it's quiet...well, not quiet. Faith is getting louder. (pause while I go and tend to children) Now then. I changed Grace's diaper and am balancing Faith on my lap. Checked on Landis' bathroom habits while I was up too. He did everything like he's supposed to. He came in to use the bathroom and I stuck my head in there to make sure everything was happening as it was supposed to. He often times will try imitating the sound of running water before coming out of the bathroom. It's not that I'm really listening but that sound suddenly gets my attention and I know right away what he's doing. He thinks he can fool me into thinking that he's washing his hands when he's actually just standing there making that sound. Why bother? Why not just wash your hands? He's done it so much that as I was getting a clean diaper from Grace's room, I heard him make that sound and I stopped and watched for him to walk out. Then I saw the light go back on and heard the water actually running from the tap. Yea! He changed his mind and did the right thing.

I watch Landis and Hope out in the back yard trying to sneak up on robins and yellow butterflies. He tiptoes and she tiptoes in step right behind him. He runs another direction and she runs in his footsteps. It's quite cute as far as I'm concerned. I want so badly for Grace to get outside more than she does. As soon as Bobby gets back from his errands he's going to play ball with the kids and I'll suggest that he get Grace out in her wheelchair so she can get some Vitamin D action.

We had a fun time last night at the benefit concert for Grace that Bobby and Brad Smith put on. Somewhere around $3000 was raised for Grace to have more therapy. Bobby's group, Heritage Road along with Three Bridges sang and we had a surprise guest. Former tenor with the Statler Brothers, Jimmy Fortune sang a few songs. What a voice! I remember watching the Statler Brother's show as a little girl and I clearly remember thinking when Jimmy Fortune joined the group, "that sounds better." Well, he sounds even better now. He sang "Elizabeth" and boy, the higher he goes, the prettier it sounds. What a clear smooth voice. He briefly shared his own personal story of one of his 7 children (yes, 7 - he used to say, "I'm gonna go broke making Fortunes") being born with Spina Bifida. They were told he wouldn't live more than a couple of days as it was the worst case they had ever seen. His son is now 33 years old and doing well. I introduced myself to Jimmy afterward and thanked him. He said he had known the Lord since he was a child but hadn't really committed himself wholly to God until 1993. He was so genuine as he squeezed my hand and told me if we ever need anything to please call him.

The whole "benefit" thing really makes me uncomfortable. I don't know if it's ok to feel that way but I do. That's why I didn't take part in any of the planning. I just showed up for the concert. It wasn't that I was upset about it, it just made me uncomfortable to plan it or talk to people about it. It isn't just the fact that you're asking people to give you money, but it's the fact that you're believing in a healing that you don't see yet but you're asking people to give you money to go after something that isn't her healing. It will help her, though, so that's why I go along.

I'll post about my trip to Michigan next time.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I sent part of this to Henry and Elizabeth.